1. Chrome Browser
2. Valid Gmail account eg firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps to install Chrome Remote Desktop:
- Ask the person needing assistance to open Chrome, and to access the site remotedesktop.google.com/support in the browser.
- If necessary, they need to sign into the service using their Google Account.
- Upon successful sign-in, under “Share This Screen, “ click Download to bring up the Chrome Web Store.
- Click Add to Chrome to add the extension to the browser. Click Add Extension on the pop-up box.
- Chrome will automatically download an application that needs to be installed (chromeremotedesktophost.dmg). Select where to save the extension installer, and click Save.
- In Chrome again, in the Ready to Install box, click Accept & Install. Click Yes to open the download, then open Chrome Remote Desktop Host.pkg within the Finder window.
- Follow the installer through the process. Click Continue, then select where to install the host software if necessary, then Install.
- Click Install Software, providing admin credentials if prompted.
- Click Close once the installer has completed.
Special Mac permissions:
During next parts of setup the operating system will require special permissions to be enabled for Chrome Remote Desktop to work. These prompts will pop up and guide you to the correct permissions that need to be checked:
System preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility -> ChromeRemoteDesktopHost
System preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility -> RemoteAssistanceHost
System preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Screen Recording -> ChromeRemoteDesktopHost
How to generate a code for remote support in Chrome Remote Desktop for macOS, the first time
- Open Chrome and access the site remotedesktop.google.com/support. Click Remote Support.
- In the box marked Get Support, click Generate Code.
- For the first time of going through this, you will have to grant permissions to Chrome Remote Desktop. Click Open Accessibility Preferences.
- Click the padlock and authenticate with the Mac.
- In the right-hand list of apps, tick next to RemoteAssistanceHost.
- Click Next in the Grant Permission window.
- A Screen Recording popup will appear. Click Open System Preferences.
- If necessary, click the padlock again and authenticate.
- In the right-hand box, tick next to ChromeRemoteDesktopHost, then click the padlock to lock it.
- In the pop-up, click Ok.
- In Chrome, click Generate Code.